October 7, 2006

Hockey is Back


The 2006-2007 of Hockey has started already and tonight launches the first official Saturday Night of Hockey. I say that tonight is the official night because I know that CBC has already shown a Hockey Night in Canada game earlier this week (Toronto 6 Ottawa 0), but it's never the same without this man here. Don Cherry is one of the reasons I watch HNIC every Saturday night. I am always interested in hearing what he has to say next. He speaks his mind and is not afraid to. HNIC has been going on for 54 years and is still going on strong. It started with Foster Hewitt calling the play-by-play on the radio. Then he began broadcasting on the television. 19 years later Bob Cole took over when Hewitt's health was declining. Now we see Ron MacLean and Don Cherry discussing events and players on Coach's Corner. Bob Cole is still broadcasting the play-by-plays but in my opinion I am thinking that maybe he should pass the torch to another one. He has been here for 35 years and it is time. Tonight will be great game, but I guess it depends on which game you are watching, which game you are cheering for and where you live that will decide that. You see I cheer for the Toronto Maple Leafs (always have and always will), however I live in the Ottawa area and the Senators are playing tonight also, so CBC has decided that they will broadcast all these games regionally. Which means I could either watch the Sens game and catch Coach's Corner in the intermission or I could watch the Toronto game in French (they are playing Montreal) and hope to catch Coach's Corner. If you know me than you will know that I will be watching the Toronto game. French or English it is still just hockey. Go Leafs!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Gotta come down this way, it's Leafs TV all the time!!! And no french channels... I gots a room for ya anytime!!!

Anonymous said...

Lord. I think Hockey Talk is unofficially the THIRD national language of Canada! I can't understand what you're saaaaying!