August 9, 2007

NYC Day 2

On our second day here we were happy to have my Aunt show us around some of her favourite areas in New York City. So again we took the train from NJ to Penn Station followed by a subway to Greenwich Village and walked over to Washington Square Park. There was an area where people could go and challenge each other to a chess match. I did see a few people playing. We walked next down through the SOHO area where there were lots of artistic people and the main reason (I think) was so my sister could go to Anthropologie. Ever since my Aunt wrote about it in her blog, my sister's had an attraction to it. I actually enjoyed going there as well and saw a few things I liked as well. There was a huge bird cage in the middle of the place.


Next we made our way over to Little Italy and had some lunch at a little restaurant there called Da Nico Ristorante Italiano. We all felt much better after some food in our systems and then we could explore some more places. So our next area was Chinatown and we went down one street that was full of fish at every store. Some of the fish were still alive and the sellers would bring them out when someone was interested in buying to show how fresh they were. The smell was unbearable at times. I even found a vendor selling frogs in a bucket I couldn't believe that people actually ate frogs. It was definetly an interesting experience.




Our next stop was the Brooklyn Bridge. We were not exactly sure on how to get there but there were lots of helpful people pointing out the way and sometimes giving us more info then we really needed. First we had to walk under the bridge to be able to walk over the bridge. Again this day was a super hot day and you could really feel it walking up the bridge. We walked to the halfway point to look around a bit then came back down the same way. It was quite a walk and called for a Starbucks afterwards for a cold drink. Next we walked down to the Fish Market, now it is not a fish market, I think it used to be but now it is a shopping area on the pier. It was quite peaceful and there was even a woman doing mime.



Next we made our way towards the Staten Island Ferry where we waited forever to board the ferry along with everyone else. The announcer came on and said that the ferry we were waiting for was cancelled and we had to wait for the next one. So we did, along with all the other people. Once we got on we were packed on the boat with barely enough room to move so I couldn't really see too much. On the way back over was a little nicer plus I decided to stand near the edge of the boat to get a few photo opportunities like this one of the NYC skyline.


Then we took another subway up to Grand Central Station. What a great place that was. So full of people and we were able to do few fun pictures there too. This is my picture of Cheryl among all the passengers running to their destinations or so it looks that way.





Finally before heading back to NJ for the
night we went back to Central Park because my Aunt wanted to show us this amazing fountain known as Bethseda Fountain. Unfortunately, they do not light the fountain so it was a very dark place, but kind of enchanting. This water lily was in the fountain and I didn't realize how big it was until I took the photo.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip. It sounds like you had an amazing time. Wish I could have been there, too!
Great photos, too.
M

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a memory, Stephanie! We did ALOT that day, didn't we? I think forcing ourselves to go on to Bethesda Fountain was worth it just to stand under the stars in Central Park and to see that girl lighting candles around the fountain for her friend's proposal.