October 1, 2006

The Waterhole



I have found this site on the internet that show a web cam focused on a waterhole in Africa. Actually it is called Nkorho Pan and is a natural water hole in Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve in South Africa. I found that Nkorho Pan is named after Nkorho bush Lodge which gets it's name from Shangaan derivative for the call of the yellow-billed hornbill, a common and unusual looking bird from the area. I am actually listening to it as we speak, and I can definetly hear these birds sing their lovely song all day long. This webcam is shown 24/7 so depending on the time when you listen you can hear and see different animals and at times during the day someone is there to focus on some of the activity they find interesting. At night all you can really hear is the bullfrogs and the crickets. Although I did manage to see an owl sitting by the edge of the waterhole looking all around. During the day I have seen a baboon and some antelope (mommies and babies). The family I work for showed this wonderful footage and they have it on their computer all during the day. There was one day when the Mom and I heard some strange noises which may have been a lion or a hyena catching their lunch it was a scary noise anyway but we couldn't see what was happening . The Mom and Dad enjoy it mainly because it reminds them of their time when they worked a year in Africa. I enjoy it because it takes me to a place I may not get a chance to visit and enjoy. You definetly need sound to take it all in the best you can.

No comments: