October 7, 2007

Thanksgiving Half Marathon

Today was the day of my Half Marathon (21.1km). I had a turkey dinner the night before because I didn't really know how willing I would be to eat any turkey afterwards.

I got out to Cumberland, where the race was taking place, at about 8 am. My race didn't start until 9:40 but I wanted to make sure I was there and knew where to go. The had a nice Tim Hortons booth set up with coffee and timbits, so I had a little bit of coffee to help me wake up and keep warm. It was a cold, crisp morning. This race was at the Cumberland Village Museum, it kind of reminded me of a smaller version of Upper Canada Village. They had a lot of pioneer buildings and lots of farm animals. Since I had some time before the start of my race, I visited the animals. My favourite to watch were the roosters. I had some nice conversations with them (hee hee). Choo Choo and Nugley were also coming to the race, they were participating in the Turkey Trot, a 1 km race, and

Dad was going to run it with them. I was able to cheer them on before my race started they did awesome, I was so proud of them.

Next it was time for my race to begin. I wasn't sure how I would do, how much I would walk, but I just started out and was going to play it by ear. I started off well and felt great at the beginning. I knew there were going to be hills, but I didn't realize how many and how steep they would be. At about the 14km mark I started to feel some pain in my knees and shins, so I slowed it down a bit and took in more water, I didn't want to push myself too much. I felt better afterwards, then as I was coming back towards the Museum I felt all this adrenaline hit me and I got some more speed knowing that I only had about 1 km left to run. So I finished my race with a time of 2:01:28, I guess finishing in under 3 hours was a good guess I had no idea I would finish that much under. I am feeling some pain now but I can still walk and I think I'll be ok. I am looking forward to doing it again.

The pictures are of the Cumberland Museum and I am the runner with the orange shirt on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done Stephanie. Please let me know when you next run is. Subject to a work schedule, I would love to be there to cheer you on.

Dad