January 28, 2007

If You Freeze It They Will Come



So this weekend was the first weekend that the Rideau Canal opened. It is much later than usual for this gigantic ice rink to open but I am certainly glad it did. I went down there today to take it in and finally use my skates properly, as in not just a backyard rink but to actually go somewhere. I started the day off by going out to brunch with the office at the Merlot Revolving Restaurant in the Mariott Hotel. That was awesome and it was such a crisp and clear day that we could see everything very well. The food was really good too. It sometimes got confusing where the buffet was since we moved around but the food didn't. After brunch I went down to the Canal to skate. Only 2 km of the canal is safe to skate on but hopefully by next weekend a lot more will be open especially since it will be the start of Winterlude. I am looking forward to it. Not just the skating but the ice carvings, the beavertails, and the ice cafe. Everything about it is great and you should all try to visit it once.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I wish I went to the brunch with you, sounds delicious!!